Herbert and Zelmyra Fisher of North Carolina will have been married 86 years (as of May 2012). They hold the Guinness World Record for the longest marriage of a living couple: Zelmyra is 101 years old and Herbert is 104.
Here are some tips they shared with YourBlackWorld.net for a long and happy marriage and life:
1) Divorce is never an option or a thought.
2) They were best friends before they married.
3) They do what is needed for each other and their family.
4) The love of your life might be right around the corner. Have faith and keep your eyes open.
5) Respect, support & communicate with each other.
6) Be faithful, honest & true. Love each other with ALL of your heart
7) She cooks dinner for him every day. Sometimes he came home from work to surprise her and cooked for her.
8 ) They maintain their identities as individuals, but say they accomplish more together.
9) Cherish children: They have 5 children, 10 grandchildren, 9 great-grandchildren, and 1 great-great grandchild.
10) Marriage is not a contest, never keep score.
11) Agree that it’s okay to disagree and fight for what really matters. “Learn to bend – not break!”
12) Leverage your faith in your marriage. (They are Christians.)0Need at least 3 ratings